Gertrude Rogers Greenblatt, M.D.

The Gertrude Rogers Greenblatt Fellowship and Memorial Lectureship were established in 1985 by family, friends, students, and colleagues to honor lifelong achievements and contributions of Dr. Gertrude Rogers Greenblatt and her husband, Dr. Milton Greenblatt.

Dr. Gertrude Rogers Greenblatt received a four-year scholarship to Radcliffe College and graduated Magna Cum Laude in 1936. While studying medicine at Tufts University School of Medicine, she met Milton Greenblatt. She received her medical degree cum laude and with it several honorary awards. After an internship in pediatrics at Johns Hopkins Hospital, Dr. Rogers Greenblatt trained in adult and child psychiatry at Massachusetts Mental Health Center and at the Judge Baker Child Guidance Clinic in Boston.

Dr. Rogers Greenblatt was invited to the staff of Harvard's Massachusetts Mental Health Center in 1945, where she served as head of the outpatient unit and then director of training in child psychiatry. Distinguishing herself as an insightful teacher, Dr. Rogers Greenblatt is also well remembered for her skill in the treatment of seriously disturbed children and for her effectiveness as a mentor.

In 1959, Dr. Rogers Greenblatt was appointed Director of Gaebler Children's Center in Waltham, Massachusetts, a hospital for seriously mentally ill children.

On the occasion of the Greenblatt lecture it is also an appropriate time to acknowledge the career of Dr. Milton Greenblatt, who passed away on November 17, 1994, a distinguished member of the medical profession and an outstanding member of the psychiatric community.

Dr. Greenblatt was the Director of Laboratories and Research at the Massachusetts Mental Health Center from 1946 to 1963. He then joined the faculty at Tufts University as Professor of Psychiatry from 1963 to 1973, during which time he was Superintendent at Boston State Hospital and Commissioner of Mental Health for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Dr. Greenblatt joined the faculty at UCLA as a full Professor in 1973. From 1977 to 1979, he served as the Chief of Staff at Brentwood VA, and then went on to be the director of NPI from 1979 to 1984. In 1986, Dr. Milton Greenblatt was appointed Chief of Psychiatry at Olive View UCLA Medical Center and continued on the UCLA Faculty as Professor Emeritus.